So it has now been 4 days since Bebe has really had anything significant to eat or drink. She's awake for only moments at a time. Some of those times she looks up at me, greets me with a smile, and encourages me to climb up with her. I rub her back, talk to her, and hold her hand in those times. Other times, now becoming more frequent, she does not want me to touch her at all. She looks at me, doesn't recognize me, bares her teeth and tells me to get out. She will no longer allow me to wash her face, or wet her mouth for her, or help her turn and reposition in bed. She usually allows and seems to enjoy light application of lavender oil to her forehead and collarbones. The scent is thought to be very calming for most, and I've been impressed with the effects it's had on patients who have had the opportunity to experience aromatherapy by someone who knows what they're doing with it (not me...I'm making this stuff up as I go). Gram is getting some medications, but really doesn't like those either, so we play it by ear between what I perceive of her discomfort and how much she's arguing me or not with the medications. I've had several spit back at me already. She occasionally requests water, but has been only able to tolerate small drops placed into her mouth with a 1 ml syringe before she yells "enough!" and doesn't want anymore.
I'm pleased to say that the last meal she did have (and enjoy thoroughly) was a large bowl of vanilla ice cream with caramel sauce. There are also moments of sweet calm where she smiles in her sleep, opens her eyes and briefly touches my cheek, then returns to sleep. Overall she seems comfortable, and when I do ask she denies any pain. I move her around with the bed controls when she's in deeper sleep to help keep her muscles from cramping too much. The memory foam mattress also is still helping significantly with that.
That's about it at this point. Just wanted to keep her Ohio family in the loop, too. Hope this finds you all well and cherishing holiday times with those you love.
-Kate and Bebe
No comments:
Post a Comment